In the world of plastic surgery, careful consideration of both the risks and benefits is important to making informed decisions. At Southern Aesthetic, we consult with all our patients, and outline both the risks and benefits of their surgery before they make a final decision whether or not to undergo the procedure.
Here are some risks and benefits that we often discuss:
Risks of Plastic Surgery
1. Minor Complications (10-20%):
- Post-operative pain
- Wound separations
These complications typically last one to three days and are universal, affecting individuals of all ages. However, their impact is minimised when following the post-operative care instructions from a specialist plastic surgeon.
2. Major Complications (<1%):
- While rare, major complications may include severe infections or adverse reactions to anaesthesia. A qualified surgeon prioritises safety, following stringent protocols to minimise these risks.
3. Pre-existing Health Conditions:
- Individuals on blood thinners, requiring immunosuppression or steroids, diabetics, and smokers face increased risks. However, addressing these conditions with a general practitioner before surgery can optimise management and pave the way for a safer procedure.
Benefits of Plastic Surgery
1. Enhanced Body Image:
- Softening the signs of aging
- Achieving a more proportionate body shape
The psychological benefits of an improved self-image are proven for many plastic surgery procedures as they can possibly increase self-confidence and acceptance.
2. Functional Improvements:
- Breast reduction alleviating physical discomfort.
- Plastic surgery for loose skin after major weight loss.
- Reconstructive surgeries restoring functionality post-trauma or illness.
Plastic surgery goes beyond aesthetics, offering functional enhancements that contribute to an improved quality of life.
The Surgeon-Patient Relationship
Central to the plastic surgery decision-making process is the relationship between the surgeon and the patient. Through at least two comprehensive consultations, the surgeon will thoroughly discuss the benefits and risks, providing a safe space for patients to ask questions and gain a thorough understanding of the chosen procedure.
Choosing a specialist plastic surgeon ensures a proactive approach to minimise potential complications. With safety as their top priority, these experts follow meticulous protocols, utilising their expertise to optimise outcomes and provide patients with the highest standard of care.
Collaborative Approach with General Practitioners
Initiating a dialogue with a general practitioner before considering plastic surgery is crucial. By addressing pre-existing health conditions, the collaborative effort between the GP and plastic surgeon aims to identify and manage potential risks, ensuring the patient’s overall well-being throughout the entire process.
Plastic Surgery at Southern Aesthetic
At Southern Aesthetic, your well-being is our top priority. Our team of specialist plastic surgeons are dedicated to providing the highest standards of care at every step of your journey. We emphasise open communication, offer comprehensive consultations, and collaborate closely with general practitioners.
Our goal is to guide you not only towards the aesthetic enhancements you desire but also to instil a renewed sense of confidence. Your safety and satisfaction are at the forefront of our mission, making Southern Aesthetic the trusted partner you can rely on in your pursuit of transformation.