Body contouring surgery can be an excellent way to sculpt your body and achieve the look you’ve always wanted. However, it’s important to remember that it’s not just about the surgery itself. The recovery process is equally important, and it’s essential that you follow your surgeons’ instructions to ensure a smooth, speedy recovery.
At Southern Aesthetic, we always provide a detailed post-operative care guide based on patients and experience. However, here are some tips and tricks to help you through the recovery process for body contouring surgery:
1. Listen to your surgeons’ instructions: It’s important to follow your surgeons’ instructions closely after your body contouring surgery. They will be able to provide you with detailed advice on things like activity restrictions, medications, and wound care. Make sure to ask as many questions as you need to in order to feel comfortable during the recovery process.
2. Prepare well: Preparing well means that you have contacted your work to allow for time off, as well as asking family and friends for help so that you can relax, and completely invest your energy into recovery. It is also important to prepare a shopping list of all that you might need for a comfortable recovery in hospital, this may include a longer phone cable, your Netflix subscription so you can watch your favourite shows or moves, home cooked dinner orders, and any other practical elements.
3. Take it easy: It’s important to give your body time to heal after the surgery. This means avoiding any strenuous activities or heavy lifting until your surgeon tells you it’s ok. It’s also important to get plenty of rest and take time to relax.
4. Stay hydrated: Make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the recovery process. This will help to keep your body hydrated and help the healing process.
5. Eat healthy: Eating a healthy, balanced diet can help your body heal faster. Try to stick to foods that are high in protein, fibre, and other nutrients. Avoid processed and sugary foods, as these can slow down the healing process.
6. Manage any pain: If you’re in pain, make sure to take your pain medications as prescribed. You may also want to apply ice to any areas that are tender or swollen. It is important to avoid blood thinners, anti-inflammatory, omega 3, fish oil, and oily fish.
7. Wear supportive garments: Your will be given a supportive garment to wear after the surgery. This can help to reduce swelling and discomfort. Make sure to wear it as often as your surgeon recommends.
8. Follow up with your surgeon: Make sure to attend all of your follow-up appointments so that your surgeon can monitor your recovery process. Your surgeon will check that you’re healthy post-surgery, including monitoring your iron levels, and checking that you are nutritionally optimised.
At Southern Aesthetic, we are always contactable, and pride ourselves on looking after our patients, understanding their concerns, and making the recovery process as smooth and as comfortable as possible.
Following these tips and tricks can help to ensure a smooth recovery after body contouring surgery. Make sure to listen to your surgeon and GP’s instructions and take care of yourself during the recovery process.